BookStudyDigest

Tuesday, 8 November 2022

[New post] The Magic of Nature – A Delight of Violets

Site logo image kathysharp2013 posted: " Dog Violet from my magical tale The Herbarium I don't know if delight is the proper collective noun for violets – I just made it up – but it'll do nicely. Violets are delightful. They were one of the flowers that made many a 19th century poet go all l" Kathy Sharp

The Magic of Nature – A Delight of Violets

kathysharp2013

Nov 8

Dog Violet from my magical tale The Herbarium

I don't know if delight is the proper collective noun for violets – I just made it up – but it'll do nicely. Violets are delightful. They were one of the flowers that made many a 19th century poet go all lyrical, and endow them with the human characteristics of modesty, determination in the face of snowy weather, even loneliness. That romantic and deeply human-centric view of nature is deeply unfashionable now, but it was very much the way I learned to love the natural world from my mother and grandmother; beauty and language played a strong part. I'll stick my neck out and say it's as good a way as any for a child to develop a love of, and respect for, nature. Scientific understanding can come later.

But back to the violets. They were one of the first plants I learned to identify. In the garden of the big old Victorian house where I spent most of my childhood, sweet violets would reliably appear under one of the scrawny hawthorns. My sister and I would pick a little bunch for our mother's birthday every March. This had nothing to do with science and everything to do with sentiment – but we still learned at an early age where the violets grew and when they flowered. As I said, there are worse ways to develop a regard for nature.

Later, I learned there were other types of violet – unscented dog violets that spread more purple delights along woodland paths and edges, and the hairy violets that grew among the grass tussocks on the open Surrey downland, as well as violets of wet places and heathland that I never did manage to find. But the sweet violets always spoke loudest to me. There was, and perhaps still is, a tradition of planting them beside gateways. A field gate on the downs was a reliable place to find, year in, year out. White-flowered, those were. And here in Dorset, I could take you, come next spring, to a field gate only a couple of miles from here where a traditionalist has planted violets. They were well-established twenty years ago when I first found them, but they could have been there two hundred years, for all I know. It's the sense of continuity that appeals, and the toughness of those fragile little plants weathering the weather, hooves and tractor wheels, down the ages.

I'm perfectly aware, of course, that the flower's beauty of form, colour and scent is aimed at pollinating insects and not at me. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy and admire them, just like the 19th century poets. So, unfashionable or not, I shall continue to delight in violets.

My illustrated, magical, nature-inspired tales The Herbarium, The Chesil Apothecary and Dropwort Hall are available from www.veneficiapublications.com

Comment
Like
Tip icon image You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Kathy Sharp.
Change your email settings at manage subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
https://kathysharp2013.wordpress.com/2022/11/08/the-magic-of-nature-a-delight-of-violets/

Powered by WordPress.com
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play
at November 08, 2022
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

A small, limited batch - and a few lines that stayed with me

"Meaningful work is the sort where we place our entire selves, squarely and resolutely, and thereby find ourselves." ...

  • The Consecrated Eminence: 80 Years Later: Remembering Hiroshima and Nagasaki August 6 & 9, 1945
    ...
  • [New post] Mackintosh — Beyond the Swelkie (2021)
    peterson10 posted: "Mackintosh, Jim, and Paul S. Philippou, eds. Beyond the Swelkie: A Collection of Poems and Writings Cel...
  • PLDT Home honors mothers on their special day with a heartwarming video titled Backstage Moms
    Motherhood is definitely one of the hardest endeavors a woman can take in her li...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

BookStudyDigest
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Blog Archive

  • February 2026 (11)
  • November 2025 (1)
  • August 2025 (2)
  • April 2025 (1)
  • September 2024 (859)
  • August 2024 (946)
  • July 2024 (879)
  • June 2024 (843)
  • May 2024 (875)
  • April 2024 (1018)
  • March 2024 (1239)
  • February 2024 (1135)
  • January 2024 (934)
  • December 2023 (923)
  • November 2023 (818)
  • October 2023 (743)
  • September 2023 (712)
  • August 2023 (722)
  • July 2023 (629)
  • June 2023 (566)
  • May 2023 (584)
  • April 2023 (629)
  • March 2023 (551)
  • February 2023 (399)
  • January 2023 (514)
  • December 2022 (511)
  • November 2022 (455)
  • October 2022 (530)
  • September 2022 (418)
  • August 2022 (412)
  • July 2022 (452)
  • June 2022 (467)
  • May 2022 (462)
  • April 2022 (516)
  • March 2022 (459)
  • February 2022 (341)
  • January 2022 (385)
  • December 2021 (596)
  • November 2021 (1210)
Powered by Blogger.