The eight pens I've picked to use first as the week begins.
The first eight pens for the week ahead

My fountain pen usage was up a bit this week when compared to the previous week. I wrote 24 journal pages two weeks ago, and only 22 this week. But, I did a lot of non-journal writing compared to two weeks ago, and wrote another five full pages, in addition to the usual lists and notes.

I decided to reduce the number of inked pens and concentrated on using the ones that had the least ink. I was able to write four pens dry. That got me down to a less-anxiety producing dozen pens. I spent Saturday rotating through the inked pens, picking the ones used least recently.

I also went through and wrote with all the inked fountain pens on Saturday morning. My intent was to remove any pen that had a hard start or wrote poorly. Despite many being unused for over a week, all of them wrote immediately and just fine. Even the Sailor 1911 Ringless wrote well after siting idle for 10 days. This was the pen that failed to write at the Atlanta Pen show, a mere day after being inked and tested.

But, I couldn't leave it there. The Atlanta Pen show was two weeks ago, and there's still two nib grinds that I haven't inked up yet. So I filled them up Saturday afternoon.

List of inked pens from Fountain Pen Companion
Currently Inked as of Saturday afternoon

I also finished off a Seven Seas Writer, which I used as my journal. The first entry was in January 2021, so it has been around awhile. It's been replaced by... A Seven Seas Writer.

Current Reads, Watches & Listens

Read: Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead. Recommended to me, and seemingly popular at my library, but I didn't really know what to expect. The main character is Carney, a furniture salesman. Also a reluctant crook, who's only slightly bent. It's not really a compelling story, and not a rally a crime/mystery novel. It's more a story about the characters lives in Harlem. I rated in 3 out of 4 stars.

Listened: Babylon's Ashes by S.A. Corey. The sixth book in the Expanse series. I increased my listening time and finished this one off in short order. I rated this one 4 out of 5 stars, and that's when rounding up. It gets off to a slow start. Parts of the story is retold from the point-of-view of minor characters. It would be a much tighter story by sticking to the POV of the major characters.

Listening: Persepolis Rising by S.A. Corey. The seventh book in the Expanse series. Another slow start. Another 20 hour audiobook.

Watched: Suddenly 1954 Noir movie staring Frank Sinatra as the villain. I've been watching a lot of old movies lately, and don't usually bother to mention them here. And it's not the movies that's worth mentioning, rather the viewing experience. I watched it on IMDBtv which is free to watch with ads. It's not the ads that were annoying, they were very reasonable. Rather, whenever a characters cigarette would go to their mouth the area around their mouth would be blurred. The cigarette would be very visible right until it reached their lips. This was made and set in the 50's - there was a lot of smoking. It's a film about assassinating the President,six people are killed and several others are shot, yet it's the smoking that gets blurred. Most of the smoking is by the bad guys. I found it bizarre. FYI - I watched this in preparation for listening to an Incomparable podcast episode.

Out of Rotation

  1. The Esterbrook (Kenro) Estie Oversized, Maraschino (Journaler) was inked with Montblanc Bordeaux back on March 30th. Going empty so soon isn't all that impressive. I gave it a short fill.
  2. The Diplomat Aero, Green (14kt Fine) was inked with Montblanc Racing Green back on March 30th, also given a short fill.
  3. The Esterbrook (Kenro) Estie Oversized, Scarlet (Scribe) was inked with Montblanc Bordeaux on March 30th. also given a short fill.
  4. The TWSBI Swipe, Prussian Blue (Extra Fine) was inked with Sheaffer Red way back on December 19, 2022. It was the last of the Sheaffer Red.
Pens drying out after a bath.
Friday night cleaning

Into Rotation

I couldn't wait any longer. I inked up my two remaining Atlanta Pen Show nib grinds.

  1. The **Sheaffer Balance Lifetime Oversize, Marine Green (14K Oblique Fine)* was inked with Montblanc Bordeaux.
  2. The Sheaffer Balance Oversize Lifetime, Grey Pearl (14K Oblique Fine) was inked with Montblanc Bordeaux.

Links

Guest Post: Two Writer's Boxes, A Cautionary Tale via The Gentleman Stationer

The Fountain Pen Mystery Theatre Presents, Mystery Behind the Blue Diamond – Chronicles of a Fountain Pen

Advice from a Reformed Ink Hoarder | Anderson Pens Blog

The unusual suspects — mnmlscholar

Why It's Time to Stop Reflexively Avoiding Gold Trim: The Caran d'Ache 849 "Gold Bar" and Others — The Gentleman Stationer

News: M605 Tortoiseshell-Black Special Edition « The Pelikan's Perch

Pen Nibs, More than Just A Type, its Geometry – Chronicles of a Fountain Pen

Video Lisa's Top 5 Rebel Pens! | Anderson Pens Blog

ScriBo Inks | dapprman

Pennonia Cheerio Waterbus Ink Review — The Pen Addict

Another Forward Pen – Goodwriterspens's Blog