Kanlea Kona Cherry, ready to journal.
Journalling by the lake

I spent most of last week camping, and relaxing by a lake. I did more journaling this past week than I did the last few weeks combined. Still, on a page-per-day basis, my output is low.

Since most of my writing was in my journal, and I stuck to my dedicated journalling pen, the Kanilea Kona Cherry (EF) with Montblanc Bordeaux was easily my most use fountain pen of the week. It's hard to name a favorite, but the Kanilea is certainly one of my favorites, it's exact location just depends on my mood. It's hardly an inconvenience to use a favorite pen and ink, so I'm not complaining.

I was also drawn to metal pens this past week. The Diplomat Aero and Spoke Icon fed my need for green pens. While not green, the Pilot Elite, which is metal, also spent some time in my hand. All three of these were mainly used for notes and lists, so their ink level didn't go down very much.

Diplomat Aror, Spoke Icon and Pilot Elite Pocket Pen
Three metal pens. Making my lists and notes for the week.

Travels

I did my first bit of camping in many, many years. I had originally planned to be in Florida, at Rodman Campground. But the forecast was for considerable rain, and that site has a muddy reputation. So I changed my plans.

I ended up at Eastbank campground, on Lake Seminole, near Bainbridge, Georgia. I was at one of the two tent-only campsites. These are at the far end, away from all the RV sites, so it was nice and quiet. The other tent-only site was empty while I was there, making it even quieter. The quiet was occasionally broken by hunters in other areas around the lake.

A photo of the sunset on Lake Saminole
Sunset on Lake Seminole

Sunrise was on the other side of a forested hill, so it took a couple hours for me to see the actual sun in the morning. But sunsets were quit beautiful, except for the day it rained.

My main problem was with my phone. The campground is near the central/eastern time zone line, and my phone couldn't deal with it, randomly deciding on the time zone. I tried just using my analog watch, but it was still annoying, so I had to lock the timezone on my phone. Also, the GPS on my iPad Mini wouldn't work, although luckily by phone GPS still worked.

Another minor problem included the site's tent pad. I found it very hard to drive stakes into the packed dirt and gravel pad. This wasn't too bad since my tent is free standing and only requires stakes for the rainfly porch. But if it had gotten windy, and I needed guylines, it would have been a pain to deal with.

This weekend was a nice reminder of why I headed south. My old homestead is being hit by a blizzard. The weekend forecast was 12-18" inches of snow and single digit temperatures, although I'm not sure what actually fell. Saturday morning I saw a fine snow/sleet mix outside my hotel window, but none was sticking, and it only lasted about an hour, then the sun dried everything up.

Current Reads, Watches & Listens

Reading: Up Country by Nelson DeMille. The third installment of his Paul Brenner series. It's a long book. Still working through it. I'm now enjoying the book, mostly, but it is still a hurdle for me to pick it up and start reading. But once I do, I go for an hour or two. I've got about 3 hours of reading left.

Listened: Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey. Book two of The Expanse. Finished this one. It was just as enjoyable the second time through. Although, reading them back-to-back, and for the second time, Holden is getting to be a bit much, I may have to take a break after the next one to cleanse Holden from my brain. 5 out of 5 stars.

Listening: Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey. Book three of The Expanse. Started this one as soon as I finished book two as I continue my second pass through the series. I'm just under 3 hours into it (out of 18 hours).

Out of Rotation

None

Into Rotation

None

new notebooks – michaeljordahl

2021 Review — TooManyPelikans

Eco Friendly Stuff, The Review – Chronicles of a Fountain Pen

Our Old Friend Joe – Writing at Large

VIDEO: Top 5 Entry-Level Gold Nib Pens - 2021 – Goulet Pens Blog

VIDEO: Journaling Workflows Webinar: The Why and the How - YouTube // MacSparky currently journals electronically, but 95% of what he talks about has nothing to do with tools being used.

On Reading and the Tournament of Books – Writing at Large and Weekly Update: PET CT, Pens and Mischief Movie Night In – Writing at Large

An Unusual Swan 3162 – Goodwriterspens's Blog

Feeling overwhelmed can be quicksand — mnmlscholar

Pens in case: January 2022 – Pam Alison Knits

Pen Pal Match Up for February 2022 – Wonder Pens