A book with this title could go either way--cheesy, Hallmark-channel over-the-top romance, or smart, funny rom-com. Luckily, it's the latter.

Zoey is a very successful young woman in her very early 30s who has recently been a bridesmaid in three weddings that all failed to end in a marriage. She's never herself been especially keen on marriage and is quite independent-minded. In fact, she never really saw herself in a loving, committed relationship, but that's before she met Rylan who sure seems utterly perfect in every way. But even after dating for more than a year, when he proposes to her the day after the third bridesmaid disaster, she just can't bring herself to say yes. And this nitwit who apparently cares more about marriage than Zoey immediately declares she must not love him (um, untrue) and kicks her out of his apartment (where she's been living.) Utterly gutted by the experience, it's a week or so before she notices that her best friend is sporting an engagement ring. And she has only been dating her new guy for a matter of weeks. And she asks Zoey (of course) to be her bridesmaid. And Zoey, now completely convinced any wedding with her in it is doomed to fail AND being down on love AND thinking that said friend is kind of crazy to get married so fast, swallows all of that down and heads off to Scotland for said wedding because it's her best friend, damnit, and that's what good best friends do.

I'll let you guess who's also a guest at the wedding (hint: Zoey met Ryland through her best friend, who is his cousin). And he brings someone gorgeous and very tall. And Zoey is crushed. From there, hijinks ensue.

I have to say, I don't want to give away too much, but I totally adored the ending. This is what I was looking for in every chick lit book in the early 2000s. If I wrote a rom-com/chick lit book myself, this would be the ending. It was spot on. I wish I could read a hundred more rom-coms right now with this sensibility. I hope Ms. Greenberg goes on to write many, many more, as it was delightful.

This book is published by St. Martin's Griffin, a division of Macmillan, my employer.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more