Fair Art Pledge

November saw the creation of the Fair Art Pledge. I couldn't be happier about this movement for equality and inclusion in the art world. The Fair Art Pledge is  a collective, public promise that museums, galleries, art fairs, and organizations are invited to sign as an indication of their commitment to representing the full population in their collections, exhibitions, programming, and management by 2030.

Did you know that despite the fact that 70% of MFA recipients are female, only 14% of artists with gallery representation are women? A recent survey of the permanent collections of 18 prominent U.S. art museums found that the represented artists are 87% male and 85% white. The statistics always shock me - how is this acceptable in any way? I hope the pledge will go some way towards accountability for galleries and museums to diversify who they represent and who they collect. If you are interested in reading more I have listed a couple of articles that go deeper into this subject.

I hope you had lovely (if maybe downscaled) Christmas and I wish you all the best for 2022.