Welcome Back

If you have heard the Twelve Days of Christmas song and wonder what Colly birds are, coz traditional version of the song, isn't calling birds, its colly birds, then keep reading. Here is my silly verse rewrite, with lots of useful reference information, on the origin of the name, colly bird.

Four Colly Birds

What on earth, is a colly bird?

Coz I don't know, do you?

I'll have a look on Google,

Perhaps they'll have a view.

*

So Colly birds, are blackbirds

Their feathers are all black.

Their name comes from colluries

Where cold dust, turned stuff black.

*

Coo, every days a school day

Coz thats news to me, I'm sure.

I have a little question,

Did you know that before?

Four Colly Birds Twelve Days of Christmas
A colly bird, to go with my poem about the origin of the name Colly bird, in the 12 Day s of Christmas song.

People mine for coal, in the coal mines (coluries). It was and still is dirty and dangerours work. They would go home covered head to toe in coal dust, so you can see why when they saw a blackbird in times past, they might call it a colly bird.

If you missed earlier posts in the series please go to Day 1, 12-days-of-christmas-silly-verse-rewrite-day-1

Where I will be adding links to the rest of the days so you can catch up.

As ever, I like to share useful information here, so here is some historical reference to the 12 Days of Christmas song. This is from Good Housekeeping https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/holidays/christmas-ideas/a29212592/12-days-of-christmas-meaning-facts/

Here is the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) page all about blackbirds, as seen in the UK. https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/blackbird/

I also found this great you Tube video about colly birds too

You Tube channel name: Visible Fictions, video name Four colly Birds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSVa1dkaPk

Please share my post, leave me a comment and I'll see you back here tomorrow for the next verse.

May the season be as kind to you as possible

Billie x


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more