Time for a little update?

Job

Well, it's been almost two months since I started my job as a 2D UI artist for a games company. If you're not sure what it is, I'm a person who designs the menus, buttons and other information-showing elements within a game (excluding things like the 3D models of characters, environmental props, et cetera).

I am going to be truthful, the first month was really hard. I was tired all the time and my mental health wasn't great. I think my brain was just shocked by the big change. Thankfully my coworkers are incredibly kind and supportive. I'm getting used to the swing of things now, but yeah, it's still very challenging, but not in a meltdown inducing way.

Stashbusting

In terms of yarn acquisition, I have managed to mostly avoid buying new yarns aside from jumping on the chance to get a sweater quantity of Nutiden yarn. It's from a small family business, is nylon free, non superwash, and comes in mostly plastic free packaging (aside from the tape). Oh. Oops. I also got 600g of Istex Plutolopi (another unspun yarn)...

I have actually used 400g of the Plutolopi yarn already (for a Ranunculus sweater) and I'm working on the remaining quantity for some leg warmers. Working through the past winter at home, my legs and feet get super cold!

Ranunculus Sweater

As for the Nutiden yarn, I will start knitting a colourwork sweater with it shortly 🙂 It'll be my winter sweater project. I am starting to reach sweater saturation levels in my wardrobe however, so I'll need to consider whether I should slow down on knitting for myself. Maybe I'll pick a cabled sweater from Michele Wang as my next project as that'll definitely slow me down!

I guess I lied to myself on the yarn acquisitions... I did preorder a Christmas sock yarn from Stranded Dyeworks. In my defence, I had been wanting to get this Christmas colourway for the past couple of years! It will be my Christmas cast on, I think. I have finally cast on my treasured skein of Patisserie, also from Stranded Dyeworks. I'm using it to make the Poet Socks, a pattern by Sari Nordlund.

Last note! I managed to use up a bunch of yarn in October as I decided to make several hats for friends and family as winter/Christmas gifts! I think I made 4 hats... and I would like to get another few out, although they may not be ready for Christmas...

Downsizing

I definitely slipped up here, see above with the yarn!

I did buy 1 puffy jacket for hiking/outdoor hobbies, but had been planning that purchase since 2020! I also got given a 3rd hand puffy jacket... if the new one fits and works well, I will see if another person would like the 3rd hand jacket as it is quite nice 🙂

Anything else? Hmmm... after using many cardboard boxes in our living room as enclosures for our quails when needing them inside, I have invested in an actual bird cage...

I did give away a book (The Vegetarian by Han Kang, good but not my favourite of genres), some pieces of art which I delisted from my shop (art trades and gifts 🙂 ) and some small knick-knacks which I think suit other people more than me...

End

Uh.... that is all for now! I do apologise that I don't have much brain juice left to write anything more than a little update... hope that I can come back with more info soon!


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more