Some progress from my previous post on the matter. I ended up ordering a new film back for the RB67 from Japan via eBay. I've never ordered anything as significant as that from there, nor from as far away. My main concern was I was unsure what taxes, duties, or import fees might be incurred. The cost including air freight from Japan was about US$140, so around £100. That's a good price as similar item from a UK supplier on eBay is about £150 plus p&p.

I was surprised when only a week later it arrived. No fees or taxes to pay, so overall a very good result. The back is in good condition, is easier to operate than mine was even before its fall, and it even came with its original pouch.

I now feel less wary about ordering stock from Japan as there is far more kit available from there.

I had another 'moment' when I realised that I had a bag full of alternative film camera kit. When I bought the Nikon F90X back in the 90s, I knew that with its electronics it was not suited to astrophotography, so I bought an old second-hand Pentax MX, which has a wholly mechanical shutter (no power required to hold it open). I also bought some lenses to go with it. It was very cheap I seem to remember back in the late 90s at about £30 for the camera. Looking around recently, those cameras now go for £200 or more…

So, I got the Pentax MX out, bought some new batteries for it to power its meter, and it's now 'good to go'. I have a trip this week for a photo shoot and I'm debating about making it an analogue only event…      


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more