Yes, it's that time of year when authors of all ilks, walks of life, and publishing status attempt the annual NANOWRIMO ritual of penning 50,000 words ( or more ) in the 30 days of this month. For the seventh year running, I am a participant.

This can be a grueling endeavor for many writers, especially those who don't have writing full time presently as their career choice. Writing between the office and home, at kids soccer practices, when at the dentist's office waiting for an appointment are all the norm to most writers who still need to work at alternate jobs to keep food on the table. But even writers who work full time from home can find the prospect of writing a minimum of 1670 words a day - every day - daunting.

The first time I participated in NaNo I was still working full time. Writing that amount every day wasn't something I'd ever done before. But I accepted the challenge and...did it! I wrote later at night, early in the morning, on lunch break, while dinner cooked. I wrote marathon sessions on the weekends. And it all paid off because at the end of the month I had the rough draft of a 75,000 word novel.

These days I'm afforded the luxury of writing all the time,but I still like the challenge of NaNo because it focuses me and makes me hone in on a specific and measurable word count goal every single day for a month.

Psychological theory tells us it takes about 21 days of consistent behavior to make a habit. Well in 30 that habit should be ingrained.

Writers write. That's what we do. And making it a habitual part ofyour daily life is beneficial for so many reasons, not the least of which you can be more productive with product, namely, books.

Are NaNoWriMo-ing this year! Good luck if you are.

Go forth and write! ~ Peg


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more